Reading: Parent Checklist
9 March 2018
It is so rewarding to see pupils enjoying all the facilities of our new library. We have many voracious readers; however, our work, as teachers and parents, is to encourage the reluctant readers to ‘get into books’.
Parent Checklist to Help Support Your Child
- I check that my child brings their book home daily.
- I listen to my child read daily (or check that my child is reading daily, if they are older).
- I find time to read to my child at least once a week.
- I ask my child questions about what they have read:
- Some of my questions are literal and can be found easily.
- Some of my questions are harder and my child has to ‘read between the lines (infer or deduce)
- Children who read daily will achieve a higher score in reading tests
- Children who read daily will produce better quality writing.